UMTS/eHSPA Cell Planning
- Training method:
- Open / Scheduled
- 4 days
- Guide price:
- Euros 2,780 (excl. VAT)
This course is intended to provide participants with a detailed and practical insight into UMTS and eHSPA RF planning and optimization issues. It is an intermediate to advanced course reviewing the cell planning process and radio communication fundamentals so as to appreciate the planning and implementation of real WCDMA radio networks. Implementation of cost effective coverage enhancement solutions using tower-mounted amplifiers, boosters and repeaters will also be discussed in detail, since new WCDMA networks will normally face CAPEX pressures on network coverage. Key differences in planning and optimisation between GSM and WCDMA will also be addressed, so as to avoid common pitfalls seen in many real WCDMA networks. During the course, participants will be updated with the best practices, as well as with common used tools.
The course starts with a review of the all planning process, when is needed and what tasks are included. Network requirements list computation is covered next, followed by a detailed analysis of UMTS/eHSPA engineering issues affecting the cell planning. By this part, participants should be able to understand all aspects of a detailed radio link budget. The course then provides a practical guided exercise to review the end-to-end cell planning design case. The remainder focuses on cell design issues and the assessment of the planning goals.
Throughout the course, participants will be taught on theoretical concepts and practical considerations, with closely related examples and case studies of techniques that are used in successful RF system design. Numerous work examples, review exercises and excel worksheets are also included to deeper understanding of the topics.
Who should attend:
This is an intermediate to advanced course targeted at new WCDMA operators or existing GSM operators who want to be equipped with a sound knowledge in the principles and practical considerations of UMTS/eHSPA outdoor and indoor cell planning. System integrators seeking to have an in depth knowledge of WCDMA radio planning and optimisation will also find the course beneficial.
Participants must possess a basic knowledge of WCDMA network architecture and the functions of various physical layer channels, together with some background in Mathematics, Statistical Analysis, RF Systems Design and Digital Communication. Practical RF working knowledge on GSM system is beneficial but not essential.
Cell Planning Process
• Cell planning triggering processes • Cell planning process flow • Tools and tips
Cell Planning Requirements
• Coverage requirements • Capacity requirements • Service requirements • QoS definition • Clutters/Area classification • Examples of cell planning requirements
Cell Planning Engineering
• UMTS/eHSPA Physical concepts and interference • Traffic models • Capacity theory • Sector definition • Radio propagation theory • Coverage and capacity enhancement • Radio network features affecting cell planning • Radio link budget • Diversity, MIMO and Smart Antennas – coverage and capacity gains
Cell Planning Design Case
• Nominal outdoor radio plan calculations • Predictions and traffic simulations • Basic site design • Common pitfalls • Tools and tips
• Site design techniques • Site configurations • Site design features • Environment issues
Cell Planning Evaluation
• Network surveys • Site hardware tuning • Site validation • Radio plan review
Summary and Conclusion
Find out more now...
For more information, latest training dates, etc., complete the enquiry form below.